This page will chronicle the entire 3020-a process the NYC DOE is using to try and terminate me after I blew the whistle on corruption in my school
(Click Here to go to bottom of page for latest updates. As of 9-05-13 TERMINATION HEARING is set to start on September 12, 2013 at 10am. 51 Chambers Street, 6th Fl)
On my 390th day of Educator Exile, Friday May 17, 2013, I was handed a packet of papers. These papers indicated that the NYC Department of Education was going to start the new chapter of this saga and attempt to terminate me using NYS Ed Law 3020-a. Now I know and they know that isn’t really what is happening. You do not need a law degree to read through the 38 charges below and ask “Wait, this warrants termination?” “This guy who took a $20,000+ cut in salary and left the environmental field to teach inner city children and should be fired?” This is a delay game. This is a “Keep Francesco Portelos out of IS 49 and District 31 as long as possible, because he is good at finding out information.” tactic. For how long? Who knows? Maybe until Principal Hill’s investigation is complete. Maybe until she retires or maybe until this whole group is replaced by a new mayor.
In any case , it is important that those reading the charges should know 10 key points first.
1) I sent files that show potential large scale financial misconduct to investigators as early as January 26, 2012. During a federal deposition (12CV 3141) last month, Principal Linda Hill testified that I had no negative items in my file prior to that time period. (Transcript coming soon). No investigations, no disciplinary letters and no unsatisfactory observations.
2) After several days of being the subject of extreme attacks, I sent the following email to District 31 Superintendent Erminia Claudio on Sunday January 29, 2012:
From: Francesco Portelos <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Subject: Issues at Berta Dreyfus IS 49
Dear Ms. Claudio,
- a member of the SLT,
- the UFT Delegate,
- Coach of the successful Robotics Team,
- Coach of the Cranial Crunch Team,
- Creator of the very successful dreyfus49.com email and document sharing system
- Creator of the online Progress Report system
- SES tutor
- JCC Beacon Computer Lab
- and many more notable roles.
Date: Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Subject: RE: Issues at Berta Dreyfus IS 49
To: Francesco Portelos <firstname.lastname@example.org>Dear Francesco,Thank you for reaching out to me. I would like to speak with you, but will not be in all next week. Please email me a number you can be reached at. I will call you this evening.E. Claudio
Community School District 31
715 Ocean Terrace
Staten Island, New York 10301
Fax: 718 420-5665
The hearing will be public.
Journal Entry 5/22/13- I have filed a request for a hearing, but there is a major problem already. As per the NYS 3020-a law, and this document below, there should have been an executive session meeting where my charges were reviewed and probable cause was found to move forward. As you can see the date is missing and no one has been able to give me details of this executive session. Also see Betsy Combier’s site where she documents this violation as well as a plethora of other items.
UPDATE 5/25/13 - Probable Cause Letter Received from Laura Brantley. Guess who found probable cause to bring these frivolous charges against me. That’s right….Superintendent Erminia Claudio.
See letter here. Notice the date of the letter and the date of Betsy Combier’s FOIL request here. I received my charges on May 17, 2013:
Also Superintendent Erminia Claudio just retired. http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/staten_island_schools_superint.html
Comments are welcomed.